Whether the new year has you feeling all the anticipation of a fresh start or you’re one of the many individuals impacted by recent layoffs, it’s time to review your career goals.
Consider your career path. What does it look like to move towards your professional goals in the coming year? Are you looking for a job change, or just looking to supplement your current role with board or advisory work? Now, still the beginning of a new year, is the perfect time to tailor your actions and your online presence to fit your goals.
Think outside the box. Perhaps you’re not looking for a new full-time position, or you’d like to pivot your focus. It’s a great idea to consider fractional work, advisory roles, board positions, or interim projects.
No matter what you’re working towards, your LinkedIn, your Bolster profile, your professional Twitter account, or website—wherever you are online—all contribute to your personal brand. Together, they tell the story of your career: what you’ve done, and where you’re going. It’s a good idea to take the time to review the story you’re telling. Does it align with your goals?
Could you use support with any of your career goals? That’s what Bolster is here for.
Expand Your Career
As you consider what the next year—or next few years—of your career will look like, there are more options now than ever. The rise of remote work and fractional careers each offer the potential to customize your work to fit your goals.
Fractional executives are part time leaders who offer startups access to talent that they couldn’t otherwise afford—or for whom they may not have a full-time workload. This is different from consulting. Fractional executives are truly an active part of the team, providing the right amount of leadership at a critical company stage. Learn more about on-demand work (including fractional work) here, or read about the practical impact of going fractional.
Of course, you may be looking for a full-time role. We can help with that too. Bolster allows you to create a playbook telling potential employers exactly what it’s like to work with you. It’s the human aspect of hiring. Our clients are looking to hire for a variety of full time roles at exciting organizations, so create your Bolster profile today, or update your existing one.
Not searching for a new job, but still want to expand your impact? An advisory or board role could be right for you. These paths are rewarding, and can create lasting connections that will advance your career in the future. Check out this post on preparing to get your first board role, then update your Bolster profile to include interest in independent board director roles.
Improve Your Online Presence
No matter what your goals are, it’s a good idea to consistently set aside time to update your online presence. This is where potential clients, employers, or coworkers will often “meet” you for the first time.
We’ve gathered some of our top tips and resources to help you keep your profiles up to date.
Your Bolster Profile:
- Use your bio to emphasize your unique experience and knowledge and convey the value you bring to an organization
- Update your experience or portfolio with your work and results from 2022
- Tailor your profile to the position you’re hoping to find, whether it’s a full-time, fractional, or board role
- Make sure the entire profile is complete—include a photo, add relevant roles and industries, add your specific skills, and complete the User Manual to show potential employers or coworkers what it’s like to work with you
Your LinkedIn Profile:
- Create a compelling headline that tells viewers of your profile who you are, not just what you do and where you do it
- Make sure your About section goes deeper than just your experience—what excites you professionally, what are you best known for among your colleagues, what drives you?
- Leverage each section of your profile, even the banner photo behind your headshot
Want to take a more in-depth look at your online presence? Read about how to boost your Bolster profile, or learn how to improve your executive brand and land the roles you want.